Ham and Cream Cheese Quiche
Gluten Free Crackers
Lots of Everything!®
By: Silvana Nardone
Posted on: February 19, 2013
Love it? Share it!
When it comes to eating healthy in a gluten-free world, things can get tricky. I face this issue all of the time. I have quite the reputation for having a sweet tooth. (The reason I once owned a bakery!) But, I prefer my sugar to come from dessert, not an afternoon snack or breakfast that I feed my kids.
Time can be a factor, too. That’s where Van’s new gluten-free cracker line came to my recipe rescue the other day. I wanted to make a quiche, but didn’t have the time to make a crust from scratch. So I just crushed up some crackers and made a crust in a few minutes. Nothing could be easier than that!
My kids like their ham and dairy-free cheese, so those are the ingredients I used in our quiche, but you could definitely mix things up and load up on veggies, like blanched broccoli, sautéed zucchini, spinach or even, mushrooms. This nearly-no-prep-necessary recipe could even be a healthy dinner. Just serve the quiche with a big green salad and some gluten-free baguettes. Serves: 6
- Gluten Free Crackers - Lots of Everything!®, One 5-ounce box
- 4 tablespoons butter, vegan buttery sticks or shortening, melted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or non-dairy shredded cheese
- ½ cup milk or nondairy milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese or nondairy cream cheese
- 6 ounces chopped ham (about 1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Add the crackers to a food processor and pulse into finely ground crumbs. In a medium bowl, mix together the cracker crumbs and butter; press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate to form a crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes; scatter over half of the cheddar.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour the egg mixture into the crust. Dot with the ham and dollops of cream cheese. Scatter over the remaining cheddar and bake until set, about 50 minutes. Let cool about 20 minutes before slicing.