Gluten Free Savory Waffles with Garlicky Greens, Eggs, and Avocado
Gluten Free Waffles
By: Meg van der Kruik of beardandbonnet.com
Posted on: May 18, 2015
Love it? Share it!
It seems like my family is always on the go! Between my husband's busy travel schedule and our kids’ after-school activities, our lives are practically dictated by our family calendar. Most weekdays are scheduled out from the time we wake up to the time we put our PJs on and honestly, we love living our life this way! However, if we didn't have healthy, quick and easy gluten-free meal solutions on hand to keep us going, we would be in big trouble!
I am a big believer that food is fuel and whatever you put into your body really does affect what you get out of it, but with a busy lifestyle it is also important to have healthy, convenient solutions for food on the fly.
Since our son's diagnosis of a severe gluten intolerance, I have become even more strict about the products I allow in our home. I have some requirements that gluten-free products have to meet before I will place them in my shopping cart. I know that just because an item is gluten-free, it doesn't mean it's good for us and that is why I stick to these rules:
• Always look for the GFCO seal
Seeing the certified gluten-free seal on products lets me know that it is safe for my entire family and I don't have to pour through the ingredient label, because the Gluten-Free Certification Organization has already done that for me. It gives me peace of mind and gets me in and out of the store faster.
• Can you pronounce and recognize every ingredient on the ingredient list?
If not, avoid it! Why would you want to eat something that has ingredients you can't pronounce, let alone can't readily tell what they are? My rule of thumb is that if I have to Google it, I probably wouldn't want to feed it to my kids.
• Say no to artificial flavorings and colorings
I don't want the flavor of my family’s food to be generated by a scientist in a lab test tube! I only want to feed my family real food made with real ingredients. Call me old fashioned, but if a product is supposed to taste like blueberries I want that flavoring to come from actual blueberries.
• Low sugar content
It's a fact you can make almost anything palatable with enough sugar. If you look at the labels for a lot of gluten-free products, you will find that they are loaded down with sugar. As a mom, I love that Van's waffles are sweetened with 100% fruit juice!
Following these simple guidelines makes feeding and shopping for my family a breeze, and having items like Van's Gluten Free Totally Original waffles on hand makes it easy to prepare wholesome meals in no time at all. These Gluten-Free Savory Waffles with Garlicky Greens, Eggs, and Avocado are great for breakfast, lunch or dinner and are completely customizable based on what you are craving. Have fun with this recipe by swapping out the kale for spinach or the cream cheese for herbed goat cheese. Whatever you choose to use, this recipe is fast, filling and delicious!
- 2 Gluten Free Waffles Original
- 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 egg; scrambled, poached, or fried
- 1 tablespoon herbed cream cheese
- Half of an avocado, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Toast the frozen Van's Gluten Free Totally Original waffles as directed on the package.
- While the waffles are toasting, heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When the oil is heated, add the minced garlic, a pinch of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; stir. Cook for approximately 30 seconds then add the chopped kale. Turn the kale in the hot pan distributing the seasoned oil and spices over the leaves as it wilts. Cook until the kale is tender, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare the egg as desired.
- Lay one of the Van's Gluten Free Totally Original waffles on a plate and spread lightly with half of the cream cheese. Mound half of the kale onto the waffle and top with the second waffle. Spread the other half of the cream cheese onto the second waffle, top with the cooked egg, remaining kale, and sliced avocado. Season with additional salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste. Serve immediately.