Cinnamon Heaven Breakfast Bars
Gluten Free Cereals
By: Keeley McGuire
Posted on: July 08, 2014
Love it? Share it!
Summer can bring a variety of weather changes, depending where you live. It’s either blistering hot outside or days can be rainy and humid. Don’t let the weather get you down! Bring the outdoors in by planning a DIY Indoor Picnic with your kids!
When I told my Little Miss that the weather was too hot and humid to be outside much today, her spirit is immediately crushed. That’s when we decided to have some fun by planning an indoor picnic for lunch instead!
No special trips to the store are needed- just grab the items you already use around the house and enjoy!
For our special picnic, I grabbed a basket we keep on a shelf upstairs and filled it with goodies. Then, “pack” your favorite sheet or blanket to dine on, as you would if eating outdoors in the grass. My daughter loved helping me prep our lunchboxes and make food for our special lunch. This is a great way to get your kids involved in the kitchen. It’s also a fun activity to keep them busy in the morning. Our first container was filled with diced up fruit – strawberries and grapes – along with vegetables like cauliflower, sweet pepper slices, and carrots. We filled the second container with my favorite, the Van’s Perfect 10 gluten free crackers and her favorite, the Van’s Say Cheese variety. We love to dip the crackers and veggies in hummus, also packed in this container. We included some dill pickle spears and turkey & ham roll-ups on flat toothpicks to complete our lunch time feast. Our water bottles were filled with water and fresh slices of lemon and lime to add some extra flavor and cool our palettes.
No picnic is complete without dessert! I don’t typically include sweet treats in lunches, so that made this extra special. Plus it was another great way to involve my daughter in the prep for our picnic, as we made them in the morning so they’d be ready for our DIY date on the dining room floor.
- 1.5 tablespoons of Butter
- ½ 16oz bag of Marshmallows (approximately 3.5 Cups)
- Gluten Free Cereals - Cinnamon Heaven
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- In a medium size saucepan, heat the butter and marshmallows on medium heat.
- Stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat , then stir in vanilla and cinnamon.
- Add cereal and stir until coated.
- In a parchment lined & greased pan – use an 8x8 dish or a 9x5 pan for thicker treats – press the cereal in the pan evenly and as firm as possible.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
- Optional topping:
- • ¼ cup of peanut butter or your favorite nut free spread (we used sunflower seed butter)
- • ¾ cup chocolate chips
- • ¼ cup of oil (we used coconut oil -melted)
- What to do:
- In a small saucepan, heat the peanut butter or nut free spread and chocolate chips on medium heat.
- Stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat, then stir in the melted coconut oil.
- Pour the chocolate over the top of your cooled cereal treats (unsliced).
- Let sit until chocolate hardens, or place into the freezer to speed up the process, before slicing.