By: Silvana Nardone
Posted on: August 25, 2014
Love it? Share it!
Weeknight meals may be a challenge for us parents to get on the table, but it’s one of the most important family-building moments of each day—and that makes it worth the effort. For those crazy busy evenings, I like to have dinner in my back pocket. That means that I’ve prepared foods ahead of time that I can quickly assemble, heat and eat.
This Chicken-n-Waffles Casserole recipe is a healthy family favorite. You can prepare the baked crispy chicken ahead of time (and keep it handy in the freezer for later if desired), the waffles are pre-cooked and the only thing you need to make is the gravy, which comes together in just a few minutes. What could be easier than that?
- For the chicken:
- Olive oil, for greasing
- 5 cups rice cereal crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- For the gravy:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Silvana’s All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- 2 cups dairy-free creamer or milk
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 Salt and pepper
- One 9-ounce package Organic Waffles Original, toasted and cubed
- Preheat the oven to 425º. Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil. In a shallow bowl, combine the cereal crumbs, 1½ teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Coat a chicken tender with the cereal mixture, dip into the eggs, then coat again with the cereal mixture; place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Bake until golden and cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350º and make the gravy: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 1 minute. Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes; season with parsley, paprika, about ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking dish. Toss together the chicken and waffle cubes, then pour over the gravy. Bake until bubbly and golden, about 25 minutes.