Cinnamon Heaven Candy Caramel Apples
Gluten Free Cereals
By: Julia Gartland
Posted on: October 13, 2014
Love it? Share it!
As soon as apples are in the farmer's markets, it's definitely autumn. As much as I've loved the summer produce, there's nothing like sweet honeycrisp apples and tiny Seckel pears. Apple picking is a huge fall tradition on the East Coast, and as lovely as it is, we're left with more apples than we know what to do with. Besides pies, crumbles and applesauce, I propose a more festive fall tradition: candy apples. These are covered with Van's Cinnamon Heaven cereal, and for those chocolate lovers, we have another, decadent variation. It's a relatively easy DIY or a perfect reason to entertain. Apple party, anyone?
- 5-6 honeycrisp or gala apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups Gluten Free Cereals - Cinnamon Heaven , pulverized or crushed
- Long popsicle sticks or skewers, to serve
- Before assembling apples, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease it well with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- In a small food processor, add Van's Cinnamon Cereal and pulse about 6-7 times or until mixture is desired texture. Set aside in a medium-sized wide bowl.
- Combine sugar and corn syrup in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, and stir.
- Cook over medium-high heat until sugar melts.
- Continue to cook until mixture is dark golden, about 10 minutes. If you have a candy thermometer, anytime after 250 degrees and before 300 is a good time to remove from heat.
- Then, carefully stir in cream very slowly, whisking in a little at a time. Caramel will steam and rise, so whisk, then let it calm, and continue until all cream has been incorporated.
- Then dip apples whole, tilting pan to make sure caramel coats apples evenly.
- Let excess drip off, then coat with cinnamon cereal and store on parchment-lined baking sheet. Continue process until apples are finished.
- Serve immediately!