Apple Crisp Waffle
Gluten Free Granola
By: Jennifer Lee
Posted on: February 23, 2015
Love it? Share it!
February is American Heart Month, and it’s a great time to find new ways to love your heart. Van’s Love Your Heart waffles have 7g of fiber and are made with a mix of 8 whole grains, making them the perfect base for a hearty breakfast or nutritious snack. Today, I’m sharing some of my favorite waffle topping ideas because you can do so much with a waffle, other than just eating it with syrup!
No need to break out the mixer or wait impatiently for this dessert to bake. Instead, this apple crisp topping is ready in minutes! You start by cooking the apples on the stovetop until tender. Then you top it with Van’s gluten-free cranberry almond granola.
- 1 Van’s Love Your Heart Waffle
- ½ tablespoon butter
- ½ medium apple, peeled with core removed, and sliced into thin wedges (I recommend gala apples)
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup Cranberry Almond Granola
- In a small saucepan, add butter and cook on low heat until melted. Add apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. If you’re apples aren’t very sweet, you may want to add another 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar. Cover and cook at a low simmer, occasionally stirring so that the cinnamon and sugar get evenly mixed, until apples are tender but still retain their form. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
- Toast waffle to desired crispness. Top with cooked apple slices. Add the soft granola on top of the apples. If desired, you can briefly warm the granola on the stove in a pan before adding it to your waffle, so that everything is served warm.