Candy Corn Pumpkin Pie
Gluten Free Granola
By: Molly Kimball
Posted on: October 21, 2014
Love it? Share it!
Let’s face it: no matter how much we try to offer better-for-you Trick-or-Treat options, Halloween is always going to be crammed full of sugary sweets. And the sugar rush isn’t limited to just October 31 – it’s an entire week-long – if not month-long – celebration of all things spooky and sweet.
So if you’re looking for something healthier to serve up at this year’s Halloween party, check out these adorable candy corn-inspired pumpkin “pies”. The bottom layer is crumbled no-sugar sugar cookies, the middle layer is a low-carb pumpkin cheesecake, and the topping is made with Greek yogurt. The end result: A scary-good-for-you Halloween treat that’s gluten-free, protein-rich, and oh-so-delicious, you’ll want to indulge in more than one!
- Sugar Cookie base:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons oat flour
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
- ½ cup Swerve Sweetener or granulated erythritol
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Middle Layer:
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 ounces fat-free liquid egg substitute/egg whites
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup Swerve Sweetener (or natural sweetener of choice)
- ¼ cup light brown sugar (not packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Top Layer:
- Cranberry Almond Granola
- 12 ounces 2% low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Swerve Sweetener (or natural sweetener of choice)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- For the cookie base:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, oat flour, xanthan gum and salt. In a large bowl, beat coconut oil and Swerve until creamy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, then beat in almond flour mixture until well-combined.
- Spread dough onto a parchment paper. Pat into a circle and top with another piece of parchment. Roll out to about 1/3-inch thickness. Place on a cookie sheet and chill in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Line another baking sheet with parchment. Cut out cookies (2-3 inches in diameter) and lift carefully. Place cookies at least 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Re-roll your dough and cut out more cookies.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes, until just starting to brown around the edges. Remove from oven and let cool.
- For the pumpkin cheesecake middle layer:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients. Using an electric mixer, blend until completely smooth with no lumps. Pour mixture into the pan. Bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes, until set. Allow to chill in the fridge.
- For the top layer:
- Blend all ingredients until smooth
- To put it all together:
- Crumble two sugar cookies each into 12 clear glasses, to cover the bottom third of the glass. In a separate bowl, stir pumpkin cheesecake to evenly distribute color and texture, and gently spoon onto crumbled sugar cookies, to form the second layer. Add a dollop of sweetened Greek yogurt and top with a few sprinkles of Van’s Gluten Free Cranberry Almond Granola. Serve immediately.